Monday, October 31, 2011

Hair Profile: Kassie Baumgardner

It is not hyperbolic to say that meeting Kassie Baumgardner changed my life.  When I met her during sorority recruitment two years ago, our conversations were largely part the reason I joined our sorority in the first place.  She just returned from a life changing summer in Chile and is one of the most independent and strong willed people I've ever known.  Kassie is a natural leader, fiercely loyal, and extremely outgoing.  This is a girl who never gets embarrassed!  I'm fortunate to have her as my (Big!) sister and my friend.



Right now Kassie's busy with her last semester in undergrad before she goes off to study law, but she took time to answer my questions about her gorgeous hair.  She's one of the only artificial brunettes I know, and dark hair suits her so well!  Here's a few of her tips for going deep, deep brown:


How long have you been dyeing your hair?
I have been dyeing my hair for as long as I can remember. I started dyeing it probably in middle school. To be honest I have no idea what my natural hair color is.


Has your hair been colors besides deep brown?
Oh yes! It has been dark brown, blonde, bleach blonde, an attempt at red that really just turned bright orange. (Not my best moment if I say so myself)


What made you decide to go brunette? Any inspirations?
My mother's hair is naturally very dark brown and my hair started to change from blonde to light brown my senior year of high school. I just decided to see what it would look like as brown. I liked the way it looked and just kept dyeing it darker and darker. I really liked the way the dark brown looked against my skin.


Do you DIY or go to a salon?
I do my own hair. I will let it slip that I use a box. A whole 7 dollars is what it takes to keep my dark brown hair. Now I cannot do my own hair. My mom does it for me every time I go home to Ohio. I haven't gotten the nerve to try and dye my own hair. :)




What kind of upkeep does it require?
It doesn't require a lot of upkeep to keep my hair healthy. I use a certain shampoo that is good for colored hair, and I use a product that you put in right after you shower.



What do you love most about your hair?
The fact that my hair stays healthy even after I dye my hair. it actually gets healthier as I dye it.



What drives you crazy?
The fact that my hair grows so slow! I'm trying to grow it out and it is taking forever!!


Is there anything hair-related you'd never try?
I would probably never try extensions. I have heard they are very painful and I think it'd be like a toupee, you would just know it was fake. :)


Any great product recommendations?
I use Biolage by Matrix for colored hair shampoo and conditioner. I love it and use it all the time!



What advice would you give to someone contemplating dyeing her hair a rich brown?
I would start with a light brown and see how it looks. You can always go darker the next time, but getting it light again is a hard if not impossible thing. Also ask around at the salon and see what your hairstylist thinks. They have been doing this for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment