Sunday, January 2, 2011

Best Drugstore Beauty Buys

Best Drugstore Beauty Buys
Regular followers of this blog are well aware that I'm a Sephora devotee, but there are great products to be found at the drugstore, too.  Expensive does not necessarily equal better.  I do love my Urban Decay concealer and Sephora mascara, but am just as thrilled with ridiculously cheap liquid eyeliner and Revlon lipstick. 

Drugstores are also way more accessible and widespread than specialty makeup shops and department store counters.  However, the cheap and accessible factors of drugstore makeup aisles do lead to some unfortunate impulse purchases, at least for me.  Luckily you can skip the trial and error process with this great grand list I've put together for you of the Best Drugstore Beauty Buys!  These products are great bargains and truly worth your money.


 Moisturizer: Aveeno Ultra Calming Daily Moisturizer
This is perfect for even the most sensitive skin.  It reduces redness and keeps skin hydrated without feeling greasy.  Plus, it's SPF 30!


Primer: Revlon Beyond Natural Smoothing Primer
It's about time primers finally arrived at the drugstore!  While Revlon also makes brightening and redness correcting primers, their Beyond Natural primer is simple and all-around better. 


Foundation: CoverGirl Smoothers Liquid Foundation
Honestly, I intially bought this on a whim for a photoshoot without really expecting too much.  I needed to purchase something quick and cheap that would look good in photographs.  However, I ended up impressed and really liking this product.  It's a fantastic bargain and gives amazing coverage.  I don't even need concealer when I wear Smoothers liquid foundation.  It's that good!


Powder: Physician's Formula Mineral Correcting Powder
Don't be intimidated by this psychedelic swirl of pressed powder.  The colors blend to highlight, reduce redness, and correct imperfections.  It evens out your skintone, sets your makeup, and makes your complexion even more gorgeous.


Concealer: Almay Smart Shade Concealer
This product is almost too awesome for words.  It comes out of the tube a weird grey color, then reacts with your skin to create your very own perfectly matched, custom color.  I don't know how it works, but it really does.  It's amazing. 


Blush: Almay Smart Shade Blush
Using similar technology to the concealer, Almay has created a Smart Shade blush version.  It's super easy to apply and gives your cheeks the perfect rosy hue, while looking flawless and natural.


Eyeliner: InColor FabuLiner Liquid Eyeliner
This is, without a doubt, the greatest beauty bargain of all time.  This amazing liquid eyeliner looks like a tiny Sharpie, never smudges, and can be made as thick or thin, subtle or dramatic as you like.  The cost?  Only $2.  Did you read that?  This is my favorite eyeliner ever and it is only two dollars.  Just don't pay attention to that horrible name.     


Mascara: Rimmel Sexy Curves
I've previously blogged about my love of all Rimmel mascaras, but this purple-tubed lovely is the standout of the bunch.  Wear it and get ready to be asked, "Are you wearing false eyelashes?"  It thickens but doesn't clump and gives ridiculous curl and volume.


Eyeshadow: L'Oreal HIP
Most drugstore eyeshadows are disappointingly lackluster.  The color that ends up on your eyelids is rarely similar to the color in the eyeshadow pan.  L'Oreal's HIP eyeshadows are the great exception.  HIP stands for High Intensity Pigment and what you see is what you're going to get with these shades.  They come in duos of a zillion different colors and combinations, which makes it really fun to experiment.  There are different finishes too, like matte and metallic.


Lip Balm: EOS Smooth Sphere
I promise, this is the last time you'll hear me extol the greatness that is this adorably packaged lip balm.  Maybe.  I really do love it that much.  And at $3, what's not to love?  Besides that, it's actually fun to apply.  I'm sounding like a crazy person here.  Just trust me and buy your own.  You'll see what I mean. 


Lipstick:  Revlon Super Lustrous Creme
My former favorite drugstore lipstick, Maybelline Moisture Extreme, is being phased out in favor of some newfangled something or other.  I found a new favorite lipstick in Revlon's Super Lustrous.  It's obviously not going to be as moisturizing since it's a creme formula and it doesn't smell like watermelons (Maybelline's did!), but just the amount of beautiful shades makes Revlon the clear winner.  There are at least five different reds alone!  And I do really like the formula.  It stays on but isn't drying.  


Lip Gloss: Neutrogena Moisture Shine
I do like to wear lip gloss once in a while, and this is what I go to when I'm in the mood to wear it.  Neutrogena Moisture Shine lip glosses seem to stay on longer than most lip glosses, but the formula isn't overly sticky.  The colors are pretty and the product applies well.

No comments:

Post a Comment