Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Survival Guide: Best Products for Curly/Wavy Hair

Curly/Wavy Hair Products
Last month I was deliriously bored with my hair and decided, for the first time ever, to get a BODY WAVE.  Suddenly I found myself with a tumble of waves and curls I'd always longed for and NO IDEA how to care for them.  Curls left me completely out of my element!  My glorious Rita Hayworth waves quickly dissipated into a giant frizzy mess.  I freaked out a little bit and headed back to my hair stylist (who is fabulous and also my stepmom!) for a keratin treatment to smooth out my hair.  It worked wonders and my hair was back to its normal straight-ness....that is, until our electricity was out for five days.

Devoid of my hairdryer, I finally learned how to properly deal with my wavy curls.  Did you know that brushing curls makes them frizzy?  I never knew!  How could I have known?!  After a lot of trial and error and frantic phone calls to my curly haired friends, I'm embracing my body wave.  I no longer look like a poor man's Carrie Bradshaw and am actually able to achieve Big Hair with hardly any effort!

I've never been one for hair products (I usually get by with shampoo + conditioner), but curl boosting products are essentials for ladies with curls or waves.  I polled my friends on which products they used and came away with a lot of great tips.  It seems everyone has some kind of product obsession!
Britt swears by John Frieda Frizz Ease, which is definitely an essential for any hair type.  I've used it too, both on my straight hair and the Body Wave, with great results.

Marian likes Rusk Str8 when she makes the time to straighten her gorgeous curls. 

Brittani can't live without Aveda Phomollient styling foam to add amazing volume and texture to her wavy hair.    

Jessie gives incredible definition to her curls with Garnier Fructis Curl Shaping spray gel.

For myself, I can't get enough of Hair Milk Lite from Carol's Daughter.  I work a small amount into my damp hair and let it air dry, occasionally scrunching it up for volume.

I'd love to hear from more lovelies with curls and waves! What are your favorite styling products?  Have any of you ever had a body wave?

No comments:

Post a Comment