Friday, October 29, 2010

And now, a few words on eyebrows...

Want to know a secret?  My eyebrows, it seems, are starting to thin.  I have no idea why this is happening; it’s through no fault of my own.  Luckily I naturally have very low maintenance, nicely shaped brows.  I’ve never had them shaped, or waxed, and have never, EVER touched them with tweezers (Public service announcement: Eyebrow shaping is best left to professionals.  Your brows may never recover from accidental over-tweezing.  Really, they don’t always grow back if you pluck too much.  Go to a salon or one of those nifty threading places that have recently been popping up.)   Right now I suspect a combination of stress and genetics is the underlying source, neither of which is diminishing anytime soon.  But my sparse eyebrows are unacceptable.  Steps need to be taken.
Ever since the release of prescription eyelash enhancing serum Latisse, over the counter versions have been appearing everywhere.  New mascaras are even being released with lash growing formulas.  My eternal quest for glamorous old movie star eyelashes has been well documented, so of course I wanted to try this trend.  I picked up an over the counter serum called RapidLash.  And lo, what does it claim on the box?  “Great for eyebrows!”  Yes! 

Because I’m a nerd and actually like reading product package inserts, I’ve learned I can expect to see results in 4-6 weeks if I faithfully apply the serum every night.  Unfortunately, dealing with delayed gratification is not one of my strong suits (I want results and I want them now!), but hopefully this time I can stick with it and actually see results.  Getting my eyebrows back to their former state would definitely be worth it.
In the meantime, I’ve been experimenting with all sorts of eyebrow gels, pencils, and powders for instant results.  I wasn’t a fan of the slicked-down look I got from gels.  Pencils seemed a bit too harsh and “yes I have drawn in my eyebrows” obvious for me.  The powder formulas were by far my favorite. 
I finally found the natural, subtle look I wanted in Urban Decay’s Brow Box kit.  Inside this pretty purple and black lacquered box is a mirror, two pans of eyebrow color that matches the shade of my natural brows nearly perfectly, a teeny applicator brush that's exactly the right size, a mini pair of tweezers, and wax.  The wax included here isn't for hair removal; it's to provide texture and keep the powder in place.  Since I've been using it, my friends don't believe that my eyebrows are thinning.  This is definitely one of the best kits and products I've ever used.          

Has anyone else tried these eyelash enhancing serums?  I've heard rumors that while the over the counter kind do promote healthier and stronger lashes, they don't actually do much in the way of making your eyelashes longer. 

And I'm curious what sort of maintenance your eyebrows require, since I've never really done much with mine.  Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't tried the serum, but I do know that the best way to get amazing lashes is many coats of buxom. Works every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After checking out a few of the blog articles on your site,
    I seriously appreciate your way of writing a blog. I saved
    as a favorite it to my bookmark webpage list and will
    be checking back in the near future. Please check out my web
    site as well and let me know how you feel.
    My web-site - Www.Esusalliance.Com

    ReplyDelete