Sunday, October 24, 2010

Make it Last!

A close friend of mine recently posed a question: what are some things I can do to make my makeup stay on all day?

My initial response was old school. I suggested she "set" her foundation with translucent powder. Powder smooths out your skin and makes the foundation last throughout the day. She bought some basic Maybelline loose powder (which also absorbs oil and shine better than pressed) and was extremely pleased with the results.

Although many powders are available, my personal favorite setting powder is Guerlain's Meteorites. Guerlain is a legendary, classic brand; the Meteorites are tiny lavender scented pearls of powder in a beautiful case inspired by Marie Antoinette's jewelry box. Applying this powder makes me feel glamorous even on the worst days. Each pearl is a different color and not only does it set my makeup, it also brightens my complexion. A more affordable option is Physician's Formula's Mineral Correcting powder, which applies much the same concept as Meteorites.

A more modern solution is a miracle product called a primer. A primer should be applied over your face before any makeup is applied. Not only does it smooth your skin, it provides a base for the foundation and other makeup to "stick to", therefore your makeup is more likely to stay on all day. Primers also lessen the need to apply a lot of makeup. Unfortunately it seems they have not made it to the drugstore yet, so no cheaper versions are available. A primer may be a bit of an investment, but one that is well worth it. Expect to spend around $30.

Now even primers themselves are becoming more complex. Smashbox and Make Up For Ever make a variety of primers to cater to your individual needs, whether you require an extra wrinkle fighting product, a pore minimizer, need to decrease redness, and more. Whatever skin issues you are experiencing, it's likely these companies have a primer to combat it.

The very latest product to battle disappearing makeup is Urban Decay's All Nighter setting spray. This spray claims to respond to temperature changes and keep ALL your makeup in place for 16 hours. Admittedly, I was skeptical and had to stifle a laugh in front of the Urban sales rep. But nothing could have prepared me for the results. My makeup still looked exactly the same as I had applied it that morning, even after a late night out with friends! This product truly delivered all it promised.

Got a fabulous tip I haven't mentioned? Comment and let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment