Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Glamour Guide: The Fine Art of Bubble Baths



What are some things that make you feel extra glamorous in an instant?  I've got a weakness for false eyelashes, faux fur, Sinatra songs, and BUBBLE BATHS!  Is there anything more decadent than luxuriating in a tub filled with hot water and bubbles with nothing to do but soak and read as long as you like?  I think not.  It's my number one favorite way to relax!  Bubble baths are a magical bad day cure-all, but who needs a reason to hop in a tub of bubbles?  I like to go all out with scalding hot water, deliciously scented bubbles, skin-softening bath salts, and fancy candles.  These are my top five picks!
bath time
Philosophy Shampoo, Shower Gel, & Bubble Bath in Bubbly: Philosophy has, without a doubt, some of the most amazing-smelling bubble baths on the planet, but my favorite of all is Bubbly!  It's bright, slightly fruity, and the perfect scent to lift your spirits.  A small amount yields a tub-full of glamorous bubbles!

Village Naturals Ultra Softening Body Soak in Sea Island Mist:  This soak is enriched with Dead Sea salts and vitamin E, and the difference it makes in my skin is incredible!  I know soaking in scalding hot water is terrible for my skin but I do it anyway, and this restores what the hot water depletes!  What I love best about it, though, is the scent.  It smells like no other "sea" or "ocean" fragrances I've ever come across.  Instead (and this is totally weird), to me this smells like a Disney perfume I adored as a child!  The perfume was called Sparkles and that's exactly how Sea Island Mist smells: sparkly. 

Tokyo Milk Marie Antoinette Bubble Bath No. 15: What really sold me on this bubble bath from was the packaging.  It comes in a lovely glass bottle with a sticker image of Marie Antoinette on the back, so that the clear liquid in the bottle diffracts and makes the picture look huge.   It looks so beautiful sitting in my bathroom, I almost hate to use it.  The fragrance has feminine notes of mandarin, tuberose, and gardenia, but the vetiver makes this an almost divinely masculine scent.  And the scent has a LOT of staying power: it lingers even after the bubbles have drained!           

Tocca Brigitte Candle:  Brigitte is currently my favorite perfume, so of course I love this candle with its matching scent!  It's inspired by (who else?) Brigitte Bardot, and if that's not ridiculously glamorous I don't know what is.  I imagine she'd light this while soaking in her bathtub, too.  Right?

Archipelago Botanicals L Monogram Candle: This monogram candle collection takes your initials to new stylishly scented heights, with each letter featuring a different scent: A for azalea and violet, B for bougainvilla and tuberose, and so on.  L stands for Laura (!) and also lemon verbena and lavender, two of my favorite candle scents!  Wouldn't it be cool to buy the letters of your name (which I fully plan on doing one day!)?  This would also make an excellent gift.


Of course, a bubble bath isn't complete without reading material!  I love soaking with a stack of magazines; Allure, InStyle, and Marie Clarie are my favorites.  Other great reads:


The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler: quintessential noir crime novel; money, murders, femme fatales, and a hyper-observant detective protagonist tooling around Hollywood in the 1930s.

Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann: the rise (and fall) of three best friends in the entertainment industry; one gets engaged to a millionaire in disguise within the first thirty pages. Trashy, ridiculous, and highly entertaining.

Dear Scott, Dearest Zelda: The Love Letters of F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald; need I say more?

Famous for 15 Minutes by Ultra Violet: a former Warhol Superstar reminisces on her crazy times at the Factory

Burlesque and the Art of the Teese by Dita Von Teese: quite possibly the most magnificent, fabulous book you'll ever read. A history/autobiography featuring lots and lots of gorgeous photographs!

Alright, so these aren't exactly the pinnacle of highbrow literary choices, but come on! Who wants to tackle a serious book while you're soaking your cares away?  Not this girl!


A long, hot soak in a bubble bath will have you emerging much more glamorous!  Don't we all deserve a bit of luxury and pampering in our lives?  What are your favorite bath products or ways to pamper yourself?  Let's get some book recommendations going too! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment